miércoles, 21 de julio de 2010

The highest reason for God to be joyful: Repentance and salvation of sinners!

“I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance. … I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth. … It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for his thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found”. (Luke 15:7, 10, 32).
Vicente (left) answered the calling to follow Jesus Christ. Bro. Aurelio (right) invited Vicente to hear the message.

Bible verses heading this letter are, I believe, the heart of Luke chapter 15. In the beginning of that chapter, publicans and sinners came to Jesus to hear his teaching. Jesus, who precisely came to save sinners, received them and had meals with them.

His enemies, scribes and Pharisees, were angry at Jesus and murmured against him. In that context Jesus narrated three stories: the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the lost son. Jesus’ goal was to teach about the highest joy of God: repentance and salvation of sinners.

Repentance and salvation of sinners are happy happenings, not only for repented sinners, but also for God, who wants sinners to be saved through Jesus Christ.
This family lives in the neighborhood I use to live in Lima. My children liked playing with these kids. Praise the Lord, I found them in Gethsemane Baptist Church. We talked about the Bible in the morning, and in the evening service he decided to follow Jesus.

This entire introduction is to share my joy seeing two men coming to Jesus. It happened at Gethsemane Baptist Church in Lima, where I had the privilege to preach during its Anniversary meetings. Three evenings and one Sunday morning I preached on Church growth. The last evening service we had a Banquet focused on unsaved friends.

I had a message for believers; to challenge them to be witnesses of Christ and obey faithfully the Great Commission. But Pastor Henry Morales told me we would have several unbelievers as visitors. I struggled a while with my desire to preach to believers, and my desire to preach the gospel to visitors. Finally, I decided to preach the gospel. Based on John 3:13-18, I presented the only one requirement to be saved: believe in Jesus Christ. John is so clear to affirm –several times- that faith is God’s requirement to be saved.

At the end of the message I called to repentance and faith. I was excited when two men decided to believe in Jesus for salvation. Those two men were introduced to the congregation to show their determination to follow Jesus.

God is joyful when sinners repent, and we His children are joyful too. I am happy I let God to lead me in changing my topic. In fact, what happened Sunday evening was an concrete evidence of I was preaching in the previous services: two people were added by God through preaching of the gospel.

During that week in Lima, I spent time with my wife; Leneida came to Lima to meet me when I came back from the USA. Our children stayed in Trujillo with The Huancas, and we spent a profitable time together.
In Lima, I attended to a class for Pastors and leaders on “Counseling in Crisis”. The professor was Pastor Douglas Stein of Calvary Baptist Church, Watertown, WI. It was my first time listening a specific and pertinent teaching for pastoral ministry. I enjoyed it , and learned a lot.

On that class I was glad to see Missionary Josue Tinta. I visited the field where he works, Chinchil, three times. He works in the Peruvian mountains, 6 hours by car from Huacrachuco. In Huacrachuco, Worldwide Baptist Missionary Partnership, Pastor Alex Rojas and some churches in that area are working a Center of Biblical Training and Spiritual Growth. Josue Tinta is valuable help for this ministry.

Josue is married, and his wife is pregnant; in fact, the baby is coming soon. It was a joy to see Josue; we enjoyed fellowship and I could give to him a Ryrie Bible given by Bro. Tim from Wichita Falls Baptist Church.

Josue received the Bible with thankfulness. I am happy I was a channel to reach this Missionary with a tool for Bible study. Tools like this are valuable to Pastors and Missionaries who do not have enough resources for Bible study.
Josué Tinta, Missionary sent by Gethsemane Baptist Church of Lima. Thank you, Bro. Tim, for the Bible!

I came back from the USA on July 5. I spent one month up there. Praise the Lord, I saw friends and made new friends. I am happy I can serve in that country. On July 12, after preaching in Gethsemane Baptist Church in Lima, I went back to Trujillo.

Now I am in Trujillo with my wife and children. On last Sunday I was again at Hope Baptist Church, and had opportunity to preach in the evening service. I am preparing now to teach and preach in Chulucanas y Requena. In Chulucanas I will be preaching on July 22-25. In Requena I will teach since July 29 to August 7.

Please pray on my behalf. Thank you for being my friends and co-workers in the kingdom of Jesus Christ.

God bless you!!!

Segundo Rodríguez
Evangelista
evangelistasegundo@ministeriocombi.com
Ministerio de Avivamiento Habacuc
http://mahabacuc.blogspot.com/
Cooperación Misionera Bautista Internacional
http://www.ministeriocombi.com/

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario